Zack Snyder announced earlier this year that “Rebel Moon,” his two-part science-fiction epic for Netflix, would have director’s cuts for each movie. The director revealed more details on what these director’s cuts would entail in a new interview with Entertainment Weekly.
While both “Rebel Moon Part One: A Child of Fire” and “Rebel Moon Part Two: The Scargiver” will have PG-13 ratings, longer R-rated versions will be available to stream on Netflix at a later date.
“I’m super proud of the PG-13 version, the broader audience version, because I would say it really satisfies an awesome, timeless, mythological scope,” Snyder said. “What we’ve done with the other version is fun and subversive because an R-rated sci-fi movie at this scale shouldn’t exist.”
The director’s cuts will be a lot more violent, in addition to fleshing out Snyder’s new universe. He added that these director’s cuts would be an hour longer, with “big chunks of the movie that are different.”
Unlike most projects Snyder has worked on, these director’s cuts were planned by Netflix from the beginning.
“This was the first time I had ever been able to make a movie and plan for that,” Snyder said. “The cut was not me fighting with them like, ‘Okay, you won’t do what I want. Can I at least release it on DVD?’ It was us going together.”
“Rebel Moon” follows a young woman living in a peaceful colony on the outskirts of a galaxy who is tasked with finding warriors to fend off an impending invasion by the despotic Regent Balisarius. The cast is comprised of Sofia Boutella, Charlie Hunnam, Djimon Hounsou, Ray Fisher, Doona Bae, Jena Malone, Staz Nair, E. Duffy and Michiel Huisman.
“Rebel Moon Part One: A Child of Fire” premieres on Netflix on Dec. 22.
#Film #Scale #Shouldnt #Exist