Last Updated: November 21, 2023, 15:05 IST
Even as the nation is outraged over Tamil actor Mansoor Ali Khan’s “rape comment” about Trisha, a Congress leader from Karnataka seems to have learnt no lessons, as another shocker has surfaced.
Former Congress MLA Amaregouda Patil has landed in controversy for reportedly “scolding” a rape survivor’s father-in-law who sought help, as the alleged phone conversation has gone viral on social media.
ALSO READ | Lokesh REACTS to Leo Star Mansoor Ali Khan’s Rape Comment, Supports Trisha: ‘Enraged to Hear…’
In the audio, the veracity of which has not been verified independently by CNN-News18, the former MLA is allegedly heard chiding the man, asking, “How can one person commit rape… it would need at least two-three people”. The voice is also heard warning the complainant that she was bringing disrepute to her family and not telling the truth and questioning the complainant’s intent saying, “Can you clap with just one hand?”
The Congress leader’s associate Sanganagouda has been charged with rape after the complaint was filed in Karnataka’s Koppal district.
Excerpts of the alleged phone conversation:
- Patil: You will just lose face. You need minimum two-three people to rape a girl. There is nobody who can rape someone alone in this world. Show it to me. Irrespective of how strong he is, nobody can do that.Father-in-law: Are we lying?
- Patil: Yes. You prove that one person can.
Father-in-law: So what the girl has said is not true?
- ALSO READ | As Ashok Gehlot’s Rape Remark Kicks Up Row, Delhi Commission for Women Says ‘Don’t Talk Like Rapists’
- Patil: Let me not argue. You shouldn’t do such things. You are bringing disrepute to your family. That’s it.
Father-in-law: We need justice.
- Patil: Think about it. Nobody will give girl to a village where a rape happens. Your family will lose respect. You shouldn’t do this.
The conversation has shocked many, who are now demanding an apology from the former legislator, even as they question if such people can be trusted to pass laws for the safety of women and children and implement them.
ALSO READ | Congress pulls up Haryana leader over rape comment
“He should hang his head in shame. What a misogynistic and sexist statement is this petty man making? Why should we believe these people will make laws for safety of women and children? He should apologise and the case must be investigated thoroughly,” said Brinda Adige, an activist from Bengaluru.
#Man #Commit #Rape #takes #Clap #Hand #Ktaka #Cong #Leader #Rebukes #Survivor #Kin #Nation #Outraged